Saturday 14 January 2012

The Big Smoke

I thought I would write four seperate posts each concentrating on the major fashion weeks. They'll feature a few of my favourite shows and what trends we will be seeing in the high street this s/s.

Where better to start than our capital, London.


                                                             Burberry Prorsum

I always love what Christopher Bailey does, he's an absolute genius when it comes to reworking Burberry's beloved trench and this season he's gone all tribal. There's ethnic beading, embellishment,  a mixture of rich earthy and gem colours and exotic patterns. I especially love his take on the parka something thats easy to wear for everyone. Dresses and skirts were all midi length whether a-line or pencil. It wasn't just patterns and beading that were played with but also texture of the outfits with pleating, ruching and plenty of material on skirts to make them billow and create movement. However, I am not sold on the headwear, I can't see my self rocking a peaked bobble hat but who knows.



                                                               Christopher Kane

Kane also used a lot of print work with his collection but rather than tribal he went floral, from multicoloured pansies floating in sheer grey fabric, electric blue structured skirts and dresses and pale organic coloured vintage style flowers on pretty much everything else. A lot of the fabrics had an iridescent, high shine effect to them which made them look rich and luxurious. This time the length was once again midi but also super short with beautiful mosiac style print shorts and mini skirts and dresses with slits enabling thigh, chest and hips to be seen.  My favourite is the daringly cut origami esque brocade dress pictured above with the stomach flashing peep hole. However, I am not to keen on the footwear, I'm all for a flat shoe but I just find these ugly paired with such gorgeous clothes not right.


                                                                       Erdem

Yet again more vibrant prints flooded the catwalk at Erdem. He's been a huge favourite of mine for a while with his mixture of ultra feminine prints on androgynous clothing it's right up my street. He once again went floral like Kane but this time clashed them seen on the trouser/shirt outfit above which I adore. He covered his designs in a breath taking variety of of dreamy prints, it was something that should have come from the Secret Garden. They covered pleated full skirts, flowing ball gowns, super cute hot pants, shirts and straight legged ankle skimming trousers. He also used lace to create romantic but sexy floor skimming gowns, all in pale colours of nude and lilac. There's literally not one outfit that I wouldn't want to get my hands on, it's just all so lovely and is making me want to throw an Erdem inspired tea party when the sun comes out.


                                                           Mary Katrantzou

Exuberant digital prints were awash here, eye wateringly bright florals and tribal patterns made me think of a coral reef deep and hidden in some exotic ocean. Some of the dresses even featured aquatic prints with shocking turquoise blue oceans filled with silver fish. Trouser suits and asymmetric dresses dominated this show each flooded with lime, aqua, yellow and red marbled and block coloured. There were heavily structured evening style shift dresses with fluid crepe trails, there were cut out shoulders and a mixture of different fabrics used from pvc to even scraps of metals for the finale. I love the two dresses featured above, the strict structure kept fun and extremely interesting with the mesmerising print. I'm not to keen on the blue lipstick though, the models look incredible in it but not sure how my local highstreet would take to me in it.

Trends
  • Prints-whether floral or tribal as long as they're bright and clashing
  • Structured dresses
  • Midi length-keep it full, pleated or textured
  • Cut out shoulders-the erogenous zone for this season
Hope you've all had a lovely start to the weekend.

Love
Jade x

No comments:

Post a Comment