Tuesday 17 January 2012

The Golden Globes

So last night saw the finest from the world of film and TV get together for the Golden Globes. 

Michel Hazanavicius film The Artist was the big winner of the night scooping three awards for Best Picture, Musical or Comedy, Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy which was Jean Dujardin and finally for Best Original Score.

Two of my favourite actresses claimed top honours; Michelle Williams for Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy as her role as Marilyn Monroe (I'm still dying to see that film) and Meryl Streep for Best Actress in a Drama as her role as The Iron Lady.

The Silver Fox, Mr Clooney was once again successful winning the gong for Best Actor in a Drama for The Descendants which also won Best Picture, Drama.

There was some British success in the TV section of the Globes with Downtown Abbey winning Best Miniseries or Movie and Kate Winslet and Idris Elba both winning Best Actor and Actress in a Miniseries or Movie. I kick myself everytime someone mentions Downtown Abbey as I have never watched it and really regret it as everyone raves about it.

Unfortunately Ricky Gervais didn't do it for the Brits and has been slated for his hosting. He was controversially asked back this year after offending many of the stars at last years awards show. People were expecting him to follow the lead of last years show but instead he held back too much. Looks like he can't do anything right.

Anyway, I was more interested in the dresses, with it being the warm up to the Oscar's everyone was out to impress, so there were plenty of red carpet hits and misses.

Here are four of my favourites from the night:


Emma Stone stole the show with this plunging Lanvin number. The deep purple colour and shape is beautiful on her and really highlights her ivory skin and petite frame. The belt, diamante detail on the shoulders and strip of light material gives it a bit of edge and personality. I love it. You also can't see on this picture but her make up was gorgeous too; smoky eyes and a nude lip. I'm also tempted to dye my hair darker to match her colour, I want to be her so bad.



Next was Angelina, she gets it spot on with this elegant Ateliar Versace gown. Strapless was one of the trends seen on the carpet and this was my favourite. The asymmetric dress is given a quirky twist with a punch of red, then accessorised with matching clutch and pout. The best accessory of all was obviously Brad. Round of applause Mrs Pitt.


Michelle not only won an award for her acting but she was also successful in the fashion stakes in this Jason Wu gown. The midnight blue velvet and the simple yet demure shape makes it a hit with me. I've seen this on a couple of fashion disaster lists but I don't know why. Michelle looks stunning and refeshingly normal in it, no meringue, no ridiculous bling or bouffant hair. So very classy.


Evan Rachel Wood is well known for her individual style and her risk taking at the Globes paid off with this incredible Gucci masterpiece. The plunging neckline; another red carpet trend, mermaidesque sequins (seen all over the catwalk for s/s 12-Armani and Versace) and feather train,  it's something from a gothic fantasy film in a good way, of course. A match made in heaven for me.

The flops:


I don't even know where to begin with this Monique Lhuillier ball gown that's wearing Sarah Michelle Gellar. Me and my friends searched high and low for tie dye in Thailand one of the only places where it's acceptable and no wonder we struggled to find it as it's clear it was all collected to create this. I could just about forgive the print if the shape was nice but it swamps her, it looks like she's wrapped her self in a sheet, not a fan at all.


This gown by designer Reem Acra is beautiful but just not on Madonn does nothing for her figure and just emphasises her scarily muscular arms. It's all just a bit too much for anyone let alone someone her age; the glove, the sparkle, the ruffles and the end result is that she looks more suited to being on top of a Christmas tree rather than on the red carpet.


I'm a huge fan of fish tail gowns as they ooze old school glamour and elegance but I just don't think I'm keen on this Zac Posen creation. I love the colour and the fit but it's the bottom half I'm unsure on as it looks like they ran out of material half way through making the dress and had to resort to adding a tutu to the bottom. Everyone knows that Elle could literally wear the contents of a bin and still look incredible but I feel that this looks like she borrowed it from one of those tacky dolls that sits on top of old ladies toilets keeping the loo roll warm.

Hope you have enjoyed my round up of the Golden Globes, all I can say is bring on the Oscar's.

Love
Jade x

No comments:

Post a Comment